[Samba] binaries corrupted when transferred

Taylor Basilio taylorbasilio at hotmail.com
Tue Oct 1 14:39:01 GMT 2002

I have searched around quite a bit for help regarding this issue, but it
seems that when I transfer a binary from Windows to a UNIX share, that
binary is corrupted. I have installed samba-2.2.6.p2_1 through FreeBSD
4.6-STABLE’s Ports Collection because the error existed with the version
prior to that. I have uninstalled, reinstalled, reconfigured, etc., but
whenever I transfer a binary it gets corrupted. When I read binary files
from the FreeBSD share, such as an MP3, the file plays fine. When moving an
MP3 of other binary file to the FreeBSD share, and then listening to it
through samba, the file is distorted. I most often find myself transferring
binaries through FTP or sFTP because they are corrupted when I transfer
using SMB. I’d like to say that the binary files are being transferred as
ASCII files, but I’m not certain. When I transfer ASCII files, they are fine
and are not corrupted or altered as binary files are.

Where can I find documentation regarding the subject or how can I fix the
problem?

Thanks,
Taylor

-------