[Samba] problem saving word documents

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Tue Oct 1 07:35:00 GMT 2002

Johan Coenen wrote:

> At 23:21 11/09/2002 +1000, Andrew Bartlett wrote:
> >Johan Coenen wrote:
> > >
> > > Sep 10 16:14:55 ls-aiv-03 smbd[15088]: [2002/09/10 16:14:55, 0]
> > > lib/util_sec.c:assert_gid(111)
> > > Sep 10 16:14:55 ls-aiv-03 smbd[15088]:   Failed to set gid privileges to
> > > (-1,79999999) now set to (0,0) uid=(0,0)
> >
> >Find out what's got that -1 gid.  That is your issue, I think.  Or it
> >might be that your set regid doesn't like that large a group.  Either
> >way, chase this down before you play silly games with irrelevent
> >paramaters (strict sync etc are not relevent to your issue)
>
> Well,
>
> Spent the last couple of weeks trying a few things.
>
> On our servers, we're running
> RedHat 7.1
> Linux version 2.4.3-SGI_XFS_1.0.1
> Samba 2.2.5
>
> Upgraded the kernel on some of our servers, and did a rebuild of Samba:
> RedHat 7.1
> Linux version 2.4.9-31SGI_XFS_1.1
> Samba 2.2.5
>
> Problem still occurred.
>
> After changing all our gid's to lower values (>10000) everything seems to
> work normal.
> Users aren't having any problems with saving word-documents anymore. And no
> panic messages in the log files.
>
> Am I right here to conclude that our problem with large gid's is due to a
> bug in Samba?

More likaly a bug in your system libs/kernel or the interation between
the two.  Samba is making a call to change effective GID, and your
system didn't do that (acording to geteuid).

This is what assert_gid() is about - given the range of platforms that
Samba runs on, we take the performance hit to ensure we don't get nasty
security bugs (like this could have been).

Andrew Bartlett

Andrew Bartlett                                 abartlet at pcug.org.au
Manager, Authentication Subsystems, Samba Team  abartlet at samba.org
Student Network Administrator, Hawker College   abartlet at hawkerc.net