[Samba] PDC help

Mark Baker markbaker12 at cox.net
Wed Nov 27 05:59:00 GMT 2002

I'm new to Samba, and I'm having a little trouble; I hope someone can offer
some advice.

First, I have Samba working at the basic level on my home network, which
consists of two (sometimes three) Win2k machines and one Red Hat Linux 8.0
box.  I can mount Windows shares in my Linux filesystem, and I can map Linux
shares from any of my Windows boxes.  I'm also using two Windows printers
from my Linux machine.

I'm now trying to use Samba as a domain controller, and that's where I'm
running into trouble.  First things first; domain logons are actually
working, at least from the one Windows machine that I've managed to
successfully add to the domain, and with any of the three domain user
accounts I've managed to successfully log on with so far.  I'm set up for
roaming profiles, and that's working too, for the three working domain user
accounts.  I should point out, however, that adding the first machine and the
three user accounts was not exactly trouble-free.  When I first attempted to
join the Windows machine to the domain, it failed several times, then
suddenly worked for reasons unknown.  One of the three user accounts failed
to log in a couple of times, then worked.  It seems that once I get a domain
account to log in successfully the first time, it works fine after that.

At this point, I find myself unable to log in to any new user accounts, and
unable to join another Windows machine to the domain.  When I try to log in
to a new user account or add another machine to the domain, I generally get a
"domain unavailable" error message from Windows, yet I can immediately log in
to one of the working user accounts without difficulty.  Frequently, after
restarting the SMB services in Linux, I'll get a "computer account doesn't
exist or password is incorrect" error message from Windows, even when trying
to log in to a working user account; but restarting the Windows machine
generally fixes that.  Sometimes after restarting Windows, I'll get a message
on the first login that the profile directory couldn't be created (even
though it already exists); but after that it works fine, at least with the
three working user accounts.

I'm creating new machine and user accounts, both Unix and SMB, the same way I
did the successful ones; or at least I think I am.  I've thought long and
hard about where I could be going wrong, but wherever it is I can't see it.

I've also noted that I can't set Windows permissions for my domain user
accounts, because Windows apparently can't see the domain accounts.

I have all the machines defined in hosts and lmhosts, in Linux and Windows.
I've tried it with the Linux box defined as a WINS server on the Win2k
machines, and without a WINS server; it doesn't seem to make any difference
either way.  My Linux box is also my DHCP server, which is working fine.

I think I've covered all the symptoms, but if I've left out any tidbit of
information, please let me know.

Here is a listing of my smb.conf file:

[global]
  netbios name = LINUX1