[Samba] Another Samba+ACLs thread

Andrew Furey andrew at terminus.net.au
Wed Nov 27 04:09:01 GMT 2002

(recipient list getting longer...)

>> Via username mapping, yes (we're a member server in a 2k mixed domain,
>> but that side of things seems to be working).
>>
>> On further investigation, it appears that I _can_ modify existing
>> ACLs, and I can even remove them (users, at least); but I can't add
>> users to the ACL, which is what I really need.
>
> It may be that my post yesterday is about the same issue.  I've noted
> that according to the log.nmbd that I have the same error.  I can edit
> the perms on acl entries, or delete an acl entry, but cannot add a user
> to a list from the w2k side (I can of course use setfacl from the unix
> clients of the file server or on the server itself).
>
> My tests also were done as the owner of the file.  In fact, our NT
> domain and NIS passwd have identical user names.  It just can't
> determine the uid of the user from the machine SID+RID.

Hmm.

I've also noticed that it doesn't seem to be mapping the usernames
properly in the ACL listing. I can't add users from W2k, so I have yet
to see what that would be listed as, but let's say I have a username map

andrewfu = "Andrew Furey"

and I set the ACL on a file with

setfacl -m andrewfu:rwx myfile

Now, the permission via the ACL does work correctly (W2k user "Andrew
Furey" can access the file, others can't), but in the W2k ACL list the
user is listed as

andrewfu (SMBSERVERNAME\andrewfu)

rather than

Andrew Furey (Andrew Furey at dns.domain)

as it does on the (same) W2k machine.

Not sure if this is relevant, but it may be linked...

--
ANDREW FUREY <andrew at terminus.net.au> - Sysadmin/developer for Terminus.
Providing online networks of Australian lawyers (http://www.ilaw.com.au)