[Samba] Upgrading to Samba 2.2.7

John H Terpstra jht at samba.org
Mon Nov 25 18:29:00 GMT 2002

On Mon, 25 Nov 2002, Carl Ambroise wrote:

> Hi:
>
> I am the system admin at my company.  We are running Samba 2.2.2 and I
> have been made aware of security issue for 2.2.2 - 2.2.6.
>
> I went to your web site, found this page:
> http://au1.samba.org/samba/whatsnew/samba-2.2.7.html
>
> but does not speak on upgrading from an earlier version.  Found this
> page "Unofficial How To" , the first part of which seems to describe
> upgrading: http://hr.uoregon.edu/davidrl/samba.html
>
> Can you direct me to a location that has instructions specifically on
> upgrading to 2.2.7.

You do not give enough information. What OS?

If you are running Linux then we have ready to install binary packages for
the most common Linux OS's. You could download the ready to install
package, eg: if RPM based: rpm -Uvh samba-2.2.7....
and restart Samba and you are ready to go.

If your OS is one of those for which we do not have a binary package, then
you may have to roll your own binaries, in that case, we need more
information if you really want help. Information needed includes:

	1. What OS?
	2. If commercial Unix, do you have the C compiler installed?
	3. Where is samba installed now? Is it under /usr/local/samba?

> Also do I need to stop Samba first, install patch and then restart?

Well, that depends on the above. You could just download our patches, but
given that you need to move from 2.2.2 to 2.2.7 I'd suggest that
downloading the whole 2.2.7 tarball is probably easier.

- John T.

--
John H Terpstra
Email: jht at samba.org