[Samba] w2k-client and ntconfig.pol...

Axel Schlueter spam at pqrs.de
Sat Nov 23 13:13:01 GMT 2002

Hi,

after setting up samba 2.2.3a as a PDC and connecting
a few NT4- and W2k-Clients to the PDC (which worked fine without
any problems), I tried to install a policy to redirect some
folders in the user profiles. I used poledit to create
a policy with modified 'Shell Folders' and 'User Shell
Folders' keys and copied it to the netlogon share. This is where
the problems started: The NT4-Clients worked as expected,
modified folders, no further problems, but the W2k-clients
stopped allowing users to login. Every time a user tries
to login to a W2k machine, the login process seems to starts
after passwor validation, stopping very soon with a userenv 1000 error
message ('DETAIL - Fuer diesen Befehl ist nicht genuegend
Speicher verfuegbar', roughly translated: "Not enough
memory for this command"). After clicking OK, the login
prompt appears again.

Locking into the samba logfiles reveals something which
looks kinda strange to me:

luna.log:
  libsmb/credentials.c:cred_create(93) sess_key : 0000000000000000
  libsmb/credentials.c:cred_create(94) stor_cred: 0000000000000000
  rpc_server/srv_netlog.c:api_net_sam_logon(206):
    api_net_sam_logon: Failed to marshall NET_R_SAM_LOGON.
  rpc_server/srv_pipe.c:api_rpcTNP(1200)
    api_rpcTNP: api_netlog_rpc: NET_SAMLOGON failed.

The network worked flawless without the group policy, and I didn't
change anything else. The problem is reproducible (I installed a
test network with samba, one NT4- and one W2k-Machine, same results).
Anybody out there using W2k-Clients with redirected
user profile folders ? Anybody out there knowing a solution
for this problem ?

Thanks,
Axel