[Samba] Limiting User Space on Samba Share

daniel.jarboe at custserv.com daniel.jarboe at custserv.com
Fri Nov 22 20:05:01 GMT 2002

Not sure about samba 2.2.3a, but the quota support IS in RH 7.2 w/
redhat kernels.  I started using this last week with samba 2.2.6 and
this week with samba 2.2.7 :).  But it IS on a user-level per
filesystem.  So if you have one filesystem on a partition, and set up a
user quota of 100MB, once the user owns 100MB of files total anywhere on
that partition/filesystem they cannot write anymore to that filesystem.

If per-share quotas are really important to you then I suppose you could
create more partitions/filesystems tailored to your needs, but there
seems like there should be a better way... anyone know?

Btw, the --with-quota is a very cool feature that the NT/2000 servers
don't seem to do (unless the ones I've accessed are misconfigured).
Mapped to their shares I get space available all over the map though I
have a fixed quota... mapped to samba share I get space available
exactly what is remaining in my quota.  It looks much better.

~ Daniel