[Samba] not able to browse workgroup/domain

Terry Wong terrywong at maxis.net.my
Fri Nov 22 06:06:01 GMT 2002

i have redhat 8 up n running for quite a while, n i've tried samba
2.2.5/2.2.6 both. my problem here is i'm not able to browse the workgroup or
domain which the samba is setup as pdc. in fact this does happen in another
setup i did. this is the message i got when using windows explorer (win98)
to browse the domain: Mydom is not accessible. The Computer or sharename
could not be found. Make sure you typed it correctly, and try again." by
typing in the path name \\myserver\ at address bar then i can view my server
share.
when checking my log file, this is what i see (log.mystation) :

when i tried to browse the domain ->
[2002/11/19 14:56:55, 0] smbd/password.c:authorise_logon(863)
  authorise_login: rejected invalid user nobody

when i typed the server path directly ->
[2002/11/19 14:57:46, 0] smbd/service.c:make connection(381)
  make_connection: terry logged in as admin user (root privileges)

here i don't understand why it is the samba recognised me as both user and
guest. i have tried on redhat 7.3/samba 2.2.3a/samba2.2.5, still the same.
here is part of my smb.conf.

[global]
    workgroup = MYDOM
    netbios name = MYSERVER
    security = user
    interfaces = 192.168.0.1
    bind interfaces only = yes
    encrypt passwords = yes
    min passwd length =3
    pam password change = yes
    password level = 3
    username level = 3
    unix password sync = yes
    log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
    max log size =50
    time server = yes
    domain logons = yes
    os level =64
    preferred master = yes
    domain master = yes
    local master = yes
    dns proxy = no
    wins support = yes
    valid users = @intranet
    admin users = terry

[samba]
    path = /home/samba
    read only = no
    browaeable = yes

BTW, for the redhat 7.3 system, initially i can browse the network
initially, just suddenly cannot browse, i use webmin 1.0 and then from
webmin  use samba swap to do all the configuration. just wondering is there
anything to do with that.