[Samba] RE: License Metering Software to work with SAMBA

Chris Lindberg clindberg at expressmetrix.com
Wed Nov 20 14:45:01 GMT 2002

Dear Tom,

The express product makes standard windows api calls to the machine where it
is installed to open, read, write to, and close files on the network. It
does not, in any way tell samba how to react, it is simply telling Windows
to open, read and write to the files on the network leaving how it is done
to the underlying network protocols.

Based on what I have seen it appears that Windows XP workstations are
intermittently writing invalid data to the log files. The log files
containing invalid data are deleted by express when a repair is run, at the
beginning of any update of the database, which is done to prevent corrupt
data from being written to the database.

We believe that there is a conflict between Windows XP and samba which
results in the intermittent writing of invalid data.

The applib.loc file is a text file which simply indicates what machine last
had the library open in the Express Administrative Console.

Sincerely, Chris Lindberg
Express Metrix Technical Support