[Samba] Using Dat drive on another LM9 machine

Buchan Milne bgmilne at cae.co.za
Wed Nov 20 08:17:01 GMT 2002

> Message: 16
> From: Ken Walker <ken.walker at textiles.umist.ac.uk>
> To: "'samba at lists.samba.org'" <samba at lists.samba.org>
> Date: Tue, 19 Nov 2002 19:48:26 -0000
> Subject: [Samba] Using Dat drive on another LM9 machine
>
> How can i use a dat tape on another remote LM9 machine.

This question really doesn't have much to do with samba, you may want to
post to a more Mandrake-centric list (assuming LM9 means Linux-Mandrake
9.0 ...) such as the expert list. You can subscribe to these lists from
the Mandrake web sites.

> Using tar and keeping the original ownership/permissions.

Assuming your accounts are identical on both machines, you could NFS
mount the machine you want to restore on. However, you will have to
create the NFS share without root-squashing, see 'man exports'.

You may also be able to have success with rmt, but probably only using
dump/restore.

Amanda may be a better backup system to use, as it is network capable
and pretty efficient. All of these packages are in Mandrake 9.0 or the
contribs.

> or smbmount to the machine with the files on and again keeping the
original
> ownership/permissions.

smbmount will not really work too well, as it only connects as a single
user, and mappings of permissions aren't that great, but if you connect
as root or an admin user, you may have success.

I would probably go with NFS at the moment, and in future plan to use
amanda.

Regards,
Buchan

- --