[Samba] PDC Problems

Michele Santucci tux at shiny.it
Tue Nov 19 13:04:01 GMT 2002

Ok this time I attached all the involved files.

I try to explain the incident from the very beginning:

I have a linux server (Mandrake Pro Suite 8.2 updated to the latest fixes
etc.)
I removed the supplied 2.2.3 samba distrib. and reinstalled the new 2.2.6
(mandrake 8.2 rpm taken from the binary distribution of samba.org), the
attached smb.conf show how I set it up to act as a PDC.
The domain must be CCGM and the server netbios name CCGM-SERVER
I just added an alias for backward compatibilities...
I created all the users (since we have two distinct kind of users I created
two
groups i.e. "ccgm" and "satyagra") and 'passed' everyone to smbpasswd.
Now I have to join a W2K PRO SP3 workstation called 'video' to this domain,
it run just TCP/IP (no NETBeui neither IPX).
Before attempting to join the domain I set the workstation to act as a
standalone pc
& then rebooted it (I also restarted smbd & nmbd) I logged in as
administrator, then
I start the network ID configuration (I supplied root as the username (with
it's password)
VIDEO as the computer name and CCGM as the domain name), the procedure goes
on
haging a little just before the last step after that I found these lines on
log.video but the
w2k worstation at this time reported no errors:

   [2002/11/19 13:13:28, 0] smbd/password.c:authorise_login(863)
    authorise_login: rejected invalid user guest

After joining the domain the network ID procedure wizard asked me to add a
local user
so I tried to import a domain account and I got these lines in the log.video
file:

    [2002/11/19 13:47:03, 0] smbd/service.c:make_connection(381)
      make_connection: root logged in as admin user (root privileges)

    [2002/11/19 13:47:08, 0] smbd/password.c:authorise_login(863)
        authorise_login: rejected invalid user guest

This time the w2k workstation reported me the infamous error:
"Cannot add user the trust relationship has failed"

I really cannot understand what's going on...

           bye by(t)e[s] .... TuX!