[Samba] Knowing The Limits

Grabham, Keith K.Grabham at Fugro-UDI.co.uk
Tue Nov 19 09:51:00 GMT 2002

Hello,
	We have had Samba 2.2.2 running successfully for some time on an
Ultra 10 with Solaris 2.8.

Over the last few days we have been having trouble with 'loosing' access to
some new shares and found that some new users had problems accessing their
home dirs. To get around the problem with the home dirs we shortened the
length of the path in the passwd file and moved the dir accordingly. Some
users worked with the longer home drive paths, some did not. There was no
real pattern.

The problem with loosing access to shares continues.
On creating a share and forcing a group some in the group can access the
share and others get the error 'The network name cannot be found' on an open
command. We also get a 'The directory name is invalid'.

Are there limits configured within Samba as to the number of users, number
of groups, length of paths to home drives / shares, etc?

Best regards,
Keith

IMPORTANT NOTE: This message contains confidential information which is
intended to be passed to the addressee only. Please advise the sender by
telephone on the number shown above if this message has been sent in error
or the message is incomplete. Unauthorised use of the information contained
in this message is not permitted.

Although our computer systems use virus protection software and we take
various measures to reduce the risk of viruses being transmitted in e-mail
messages and attachments sent from this company we cannot guarantee that
such e-mail messages and attachments are free from viruses and it is a
condition of our using e-mail to correspond with you that any and all
liability on our part arising directly or indirectly out of any virus is
excluded. Please ensure that you run virus checking software on all e-mail
messages and attachments before reading them.