[Samba] Samba Member Server or LDAP?

Nick Willey nwilley at ashgate.com
Thu Nov 14 20:58:00 GMT 2002

Hi,

Is it possible for samba to act as a member server in a samba domain?

What I'm trying to accomplish is:

I already have a samba pdc setup.  Everything works fine with login scripts,
password change, etc. However I need to move all of the home directories
onto another server with a much larger disk and would like to keep the
existing server to authenticate users against.  My idea was to point the new
"member" server to the existing "pdc" as password server, and set the "pdc"
server logon home option to point to \\member\home\%u.

My ultimate goal is to centralize user/machine management and only have to
do it one one machine, but have the option of several servers available to
all users setup on said machine.

Would looking at implementing LDAP be a more efficient option?

Thanks for your help.

Nick