[Samba] using winbind without a PDC

Andy Fish ajfish at blueyonder.co.uk
Wed Nov 13 17:07:01 GMT 2002

The problem is that I have a pure P2P network and don't want to rely on
having any of the computers left on all the time. My NAT router (which
obviously is on all the time) acts as a DHCP server but does not do WINS or
DNS for the LAN.

I have now configured libnss_wins for hosts lookup in my nsswitch.conf and
everything works fine (it does a broadcast if there is no wins server).
Aplogogies if this is considered a bodge ;-)