[Samba] Name resolution problem, looking for advice on best solution

Chris Mason masonc at masonc.com
Wed Nov 13 14:19:00 GMT 2002

I have a Redhat 7.2 server for DNS, Web, File Sharing via Samba, for my
SOHO network of 6 Win2K workstations. I have a workgroup, not a domain.
The server is on a static IP and the workstations are DHCP assigned the
Dlink gateway, which also tells them the DNS IP.

 I am having a problem where some of the workstations can see some of
the others in Network Neighbourhood, but some can't. SMB Name Resolution
is not working right.

I have tried preferred master=yes but it makes no difference.
Sometimes it all works perfectly, but often it doesn't. I suspect Samba
is losing the elections as Master Browser. The server is always up, but
the workstations come and go.

What is the optimum config for this size of network?
Should I use Samba as WINS server?
Is there a modification to the workstations that will stop them taking
over as Master Browser?
Should I use some kind of Dynamic DNS and how do I do that?

Chris Mason
masonc at masonc.com
Box 340, The Valley, Anguilla, British West Indies
Tel: 264 497 5670 Fax: 264 497 8463 Cell: 264 235 5670
http://www.anguillaguide.com/ The Anguilla Guide
Talk to me in real time:
Yahoo:netconcepts_anguilla
US Fax and Voicemail: (815)301-9759