[Samba] Fw: Samba and Windows XP, 30 second lockup

jra at dp.samba.org jra at dp.samba.org
Tue Nov 12 16:32:00 GMT 2002

On Tue, Nov 12, 2002 at 09:48:01AM -0300, Boogerman wrote:
> Hi again,
>
> I posted this message some time ago in the list, however nobody replied yet.
> I find this kinda weird because the problem happens with both my XP
> computers, so I am pretty sure there must be at least a couple of guys out
> there with the same problem... Basically the problem is that when using
> Samba shares from XP from time to time I experience a ~30 second lockup of
> the shares. This doesn't happen in other windows versions. Anyone is having
> the same issue and/or knows how to solve it?

Are you sharing printers from Samba ? On print open, XP makes a
request to monitor a printer for change notify which causes
Samba to do a reverse connection back to the client, currently
with 30 second timeout (which makes me suspicious). Do you have
firewall settings on the XP boxes that would prevent reverse
connections to ports 445 or 139 ?

Jeremy.