[Samba] PDF Creation

Bradley W. Langhorst brad at langhorst.com
Mon Nov 11 22:26:11 GMT 2002

On Mon, 2002-11-11 at 17:10, Duane Ellis wrote:
> I am not on the SAMBA list - so please if you reply remember to CC me.
>
> My Linux users have access to ps2pdf - a nice tool to convert Postscript
> files
> to PDF files.I'd like to make it available to my PC Users - who don't
> understand
> what a command line prompt is....
>
> I know the following works:
>
> 1) On my Windows machine - Add a new printer
>    an APPLE LASER POSTSCRIPT WRITER
>    But specify it's output to be a FILE.
>
> 2) Print a document to the file.
>
> 3) Transfer it to my Linux box and run ps2pdf - works like a charm.
>
> So - why can't I do this with Samba (answer: I don't know samba well enough)
>
> a) Configure a printer under SAMBA
>
> b) Instead of going to a PRINT QUE the data should be piped through
>     the program "ps2pdf"
>
> c) The output is a PDF file.. Normally Adobe PDF writer would
>      put the result file some place on my Windows hard drive.
>
> d) I think the SAMBA print service knows the Windows USER NAME
>     why can't SAMBA email the PDF file back to me.
>
> Sure - I don't get all those fancy features that Adobes PDF Writer gives me.
> I don't need them - nor do I want them, I never change the default settings
> anyway.
>
> For my users who really need that flexabilty - I'll purchase the full
> PDF Writer
> package. Or maybe - I could setup another PDF2MAIL script with the
> options they want or need in place.
>
> Should be nothing more then a 10 to 20 line shell script of some type and
> knowing where in side of samba to put it.
>
> I did try to search the samba site for info about this - but it is
> fruitless - do you knonw
> how many times the phrase "pdf" shows up...
its a tough search since it finds all the docs...
however the the list archive is a good place to look

http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=samba&w=2&r=1&s=pdf&q=b

> My idea is just a thought - and a wish.

this already works - there is an example in the source ball

/packaging/Mandrake/samba-print-pdf.sh

you may want to use redmon and ghostscript on the local machine to avoid
the mailing kludge.

brad