[Samba] Samba 2.2.6 bug with Windows XP

Phil Chambers P.A.Chambers at exeter.ac.uk
Sat Nov 9 18:06:00 GMT 2002

On Fri, 8 Nov 2002 13:26:44 -0600 Brandon Hagedorn <bhagedor at iastate.edu> wrote:

> Is this a bug or what...
> Setup:
> samba-2.2.6.p2_1 as Windows PDC
> Installed via ports on FreeBSD 4.7 RELEASE
> on install I enabled Syslog support, Recycle Bin, and Quota support.
> Everything installs properly
> I created the groups machines:201, and admins:200.
> Added every user with the command "smbpasswd -a <username>"
> Also added every machine with this command "smbpasswd -a -m
> <machine_name>"
> Edited the password file via "vipw"
> And added the lines in it corresponding
> machine_name$:*:201:201::0:0:Machine account for a
> machine:/dev/null:false

If all the machine accounts have a uid of 201 that would explain the problem.  each
machine account must have a unique uid.  (The message stating that you need a dollar
signe on the machine name in the smbpasswd command is mistaken.  The dollar sign
only appears in the passwd file, smbpasswd adding it when creating the smbpasswd
entry.)

Phil.