[Samba] Problem with configurable Linux as a PDC with Windows 2000 clients

Michael michael at theasian.net
Fri Nov 8 10:41:00 GMT 2002

I was attempting to setup my Linux box as a PDC but have met some problems along the way....
I am using RH8 which carries samba 2.2.5.
I have a testbed with 1x Linux box, 1x Windows 2000 Professional (client). I have checked connectivity between the two pcs with a ping from both ends.

I followed the instructions suggested by "Samba Unleashed", configuring the smb.conf as follows:
.... extracts ....
workgroup = MYDOMAIN
encrypt passwords = yes
announce version = 4.2
domain logons = yes
wins support = yes
preferred master = yes
local master = yes
domain master = yes
os level = 32

Did a testparm and everything resulted ok.
Created Unix user accounts for the 2 machines with an instruction like the following...
useradd -c 'some description' -M -s /bin/false -n machineName$

Next, I tried to add server to the domain:
smbpasswd -a -m LINUXBOX

followed by:
smbpasswd -j MYDOMAIN

If I am successful, I would get:
Joining Domain as PDC
Joined domain MYDOMAIN.

However, I get an error message that goes:
modify_trust_password: Machine LINUXBOX is one of our addresses. Cannot add to ourselves.
2002/11/08 14:57:10 : change_trust_account_password: Failed to change password for domain MYDOMAIN.
Unable to join domain MYDOMAIN.

Does anyone know what this error message is trying to say? What have I done wrong or forget to set? How should I go about troubleshooting this one?

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

regards,
Michael