[Samba] Problems authentication with NT PDCs in security = server (was sercurity = user)

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Fri Nov 8 08:23:01 GMT 2002

On Fri, 2002-11-08 at 08:08, James Lamanna wrote:
> Is it possible to get samba to authenticate from the Domain without
> adding
> a machine account to the domain (using smbpasswd -j ...)
>
> Also, when I tried to add the machine to the domain anyways, I received
> an interesting error:
> "Set net rpc join for this functionality"

You are using Samba HEAD, or Samba 3.0.  We don't have as much
documentation on this as we would like, but basically you run 'net join'
and if you have your smb.conf already setup, you should be prompted for
an admin username/password (you may need to use -Uadministrator) and it
will join in the same way 2.2 did.

But really, if you are having trouble with getting up to speed with
Samba, stick with the stable release.

Andrew Bartlett

Andrew Bartlett                                 abartlet at pcug.org.au
Manager, Authentication Subsystems, Samba Team  abartlet at samba.org