[Samba] windows -> 2.2.6

Justin Georgeson jgeorgeson at unboundtech.com
Thu Nov 7 22:11:02 GMT 2002

I have the official 2.2.6 RPM for RH 8 installed, and can mount windows
shares on my linux box. I can't browse the samba shares from my windows
machine though. When I go to Start->Run, "\\<hostname>" I'm given this
error message.

"The account is unauthorized to login from this station."

I created and smbpasswd entry with smbpasswd -a. There are no error
messages in log.nmbd or log.smbd, and the log files for particular
machines (log.jgeorgeson in the case of the windows box) are empty. The
only changes I have made from the default smb.conf file are to specify
the workgroup and server string.

Just to make sure it's not my firewall, I disabled iptables and get the
same results. I can ping each direction by name, and my linux box shows
up in computers near me under my network places in W2K.

--
Justin Georgeson
UnBound Technologies, Inc.

5295 Hollister Road
Houston, TX 77040
Real Applications using Real Wireless Intelligence(tm)