[Samba] Printing: Access denied, unable to connect

Steve Carter scarter at pobox.com
Wed Nov 6 23:52:00 GMT 2002

I have been having a printing problem recently on a setup that has worked
for quite some time.  Configs below.  The symtoms are slightly different
on a W2K and a WinME workstation, but the result is the same; no printed
output.  However, when I print from the local Unix server or from any
other Unix server in the network the output is as expected.

The W2K machine reports 'Access denied, unable to connect' when the
printer is selected via the Printers window.

When I add in the 'use client driver = yes' directive the symptoms are
masked in that the printer shows as 'Ready' in the Printers window but,
still, no printed output and the printing process hangs.

I've tried all kinds of things to fix this, I've looked thru mail archives
and I've run smbd interactively with debugging turned on to no avail.  I
have seen this same question asked by others in the archives but no
resolution.

Any further pointers for troubleshooting would be much appreciated.

-Steve

----

smb.conf:

[global]
        log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m

        printing = BSD
        printcap name = /etc/printcap
        print command = /usr/bin/lpr -P%p -r %s
[printer]
#       use client driver = yes
        path = /var/spool/lpd/spit
        printable = yes
        printer name = lp
        read only = yes
        guest ok = yes

printcap:

dj932c|color|HP DeskJet 932c:\
        :sh:mx#0:\
        :lp=/dev/lpt0:sd=/var/spool/lpd/spit:\
        :if=/usr/local/libexec/magicfilter/dj550c-filter:\
        :lf=/var/log/lpd-errors: