[Samba] Adding Printer

Stephen Kuhn stephen.kuhn at gmx.net
Tue Nov 5 22:31:15 GMT 2002

On Wed, 2002-11-06 at 03:26, nmennell at intellinetcorp.com wrote:

> Everyone,
>
> Thanks for the response.
>
> I am using RedHat 7.2, SAMBA 2.2.5
>
> Here is what we are trying to do and the situation that results:
>
> I have two (2) endusers with HP laptop PC that spend 3 days out of 5 in the
> office. They have to connect over our internal network to a Ricoh Aficio
> printer.
> The endusers were added to the appropriate directories and we had tested
> thoroughly with users.... the ones in office. We are also using a LEXMARK
> printer without any problems. As a matter of fact, the 2 that cannot print
> to the Ricoh, can print to the Lexmark.

> follow the path to <add printer>, <select Ricoh>, <Aficio 401>
>
> Everything works without incident so far. It appears all is set up
> correctly. When I send a test print to the printer, I get nothing.
>
> I delete the printer and proceed another route to install printer.
>
> I go to <start>, <run>, <\\n.n.n.n/ricoh>
>
> I get a message that says:
>
> Before you can use printer "\\n.n.n.n/ricoh" it must be set up on your
> computer. Do you want Windows to set up the printer and continue this
> operation?
>
> <yes>
>
> The server on which the printer resides does not have the exact printer
> driver installed. If you want to install the driver on your computer click
> OK.
>
> <OK>
>
> Connecting to ricoh on \\n.n.n.n
>
> { swishing flashlight }
>
> Complete operation through the Printer Wizard.
>
> at completion, I get
>
> Access denied, unable to connect
>

> I have checked various log files and I do not see anything that jumps out
> as an error?
>

> Any assistance is greatly appreciated.
>

> Nicholas E. Mennell, CCNA
> Manager, Operations
> IntelliNet Corporation
> Room 302
> 26380 Curtiss Wright Parkway
> nmennell at intellinetcorp.com
> ph: (216) 289-4100

What about doing this a different way: Double click NETWORK NEIGHBORHOOD,then double click on the server, highlight the printer you want (the Ricoh), right click it, then in the dialogue box, choose INSTALL; after doing that, go back to the PRINTERS folder, right click on that printer, choose properties, and verify the network print path?
Just throwing this out to see if that might resolve the issue...

--
Wed Nov  6 08:45:00 EST 2002

--------------------------------
|      | /  \__.`=._) (_       |kuhn media australia
|      |/ ._/  |"""""""""|     |http://kma.0catch.com
|      |'.  `\ |         |     |stephen kuhn
|      ;"""/ / |         |     |email: skuhn at telpacific.com.au
|  smk  ) /_/| |.-------.|     |mobile: 0410-728-389