[Samba] mount_smbfs problem

Mike McGranahan mikemcg at ucla.edu
Tue Nov 5 04:16:01 GMT 2002

hello,

i am using samba 2.2.4 on freebsd 4.6.2 release.    when i try to mount an
smb share off my windows xp box onto my freebsd box, i get the following:

~$ mount_smbfs //neelix/mike /mnt/mike
Warning: no cfg file(s) found.
mount_smbfs: can not setup kernel iconv table (default:tolower): syserr =
Operation not permitted

however, when i run the same command as root, it works as expected.
furthermore, smbclient works under a unpriviledged account.  there were no
messages outputted to my log files.

i've been google'ing for hours, as well as poring through man pages and
documentation, and the samba list archive.  i would very much appreciate
your help.

mike