[Samba] SLOW connections

Fred Kuipers fred at kuipers.dhs.org
Sat Nov 2 02:17:01 GMT 2002

Well, after a bit more hunting on my part (armed with the errors I noted
in my last email), I tripped over the following article:

http://www.faqchest.com/linux/samba-l/smb-01/smb-0109/smb01090215_24396.html

(For the lazy of heart, essentially it discusses the woes of plaintext
passwords and Windows 9x, and urges the use of "encrypt passwords = yes")

So, I switched to encrypted passwords (using the process indicated in
the article), stripped the registry entry on the windows client (and
rebooted) and gave it a shot.

It worked... No more slowness... :-)

I suppose I could have changed my linux password to an all upper case
password.....

Thanks anyways... Hopefully this benefits someone else!

FjK

Collins, Kevin wrote:

>Fred:
>
>I don't know if this is it, but do you have a DNS server or a HOSTS file
>on the Windows machine(s) pointing to the IP of the Linux box?  If not,
>here is what (I think) is happening: Windows 98 will try to contact a
>DNS server to locate the network machine and fail with a time out (which
>takes several seconds).  Then it will revert to the WINS service and
>find the Linux box.  Windows cache's WINS resolutions and that's why
>subsequent connections are "peppy".
>
>My forward look-up zone was "fubar"ed on my DNS server here at work and
>my Windows machines exhibited the exact same symptoms as you describe.
>I fixed the zone file and everything began to operate properly.
>
>If this isn't it, I'm sorry for feeding you bad information.  :-)
>
>Kevin L. Collins

wily: something horrible happened:: Success
[1]+  Aborted                 wily