[Samba] 2.2.6 and printer questions

Thomas Bork tombork at web.de
Fri Nov 1 12:38:15 GMT 2002

Hi @all,

I have 2 questions about printer driver installation on w2k-client for a samba served printer:

1.
If I want to install a driver on w2k workstation, I choose network printer and then can browse the network. If printers are served from a Nt/w2k-server, in my opinion it is not nessesary to double click the netbios name of the Nt/w2k-server to see the shared printers.  In this case under the Workgroup-Name are all shared printers of all servers visible like

- workgroupname
     \\server1\printer1
     \\server2\printer1
+ server1
+ server2

If printers served from Samba it is nessesary to double click the netbios name of the samba server to see printershares. Why?

2.
If I'm uploading printer drivers for w2k and win9x via the APW (Add Printer Wizzard) from a NT/W2K/XP-client to the Samba server, w2k alway show me, that on the samba server only a driver for w2k exists. Why?

tom