[Samba] A good book...

Jay Ts jay at metran.cx
Wed May 29 22:21:03 GMT 2002

> Eric Johnson wrote:
> > So my question is...  Which one is the book everyone figures is the best?
and Joel replied:
> The book that comes free with SWAT is fine.

That would be Using Samba, 1st edition, the version that I
"lifted" (legally; it's an Open Content book) from O'Reilly's
website and put into its current form.  And now I'm the author
who is doing the 2nd edition "upgrade" for O'Reilly, and I have
to say, the 1st edition is way out of date in many ways.  However,
it's free (always a good price :) and covers the basics, so it's possible
to get by on it pretty easily, if you are willing to also dig into
the man pages (especially for smb.conf) and other documents included
in the Samba release (in docs/textdocs and docs/htmldocs) to catch
up to Samba 2.2.x or 3.0.

It's taken a long time for the 2nd edition to come out, partly
because I'm a slow writer, and partly because I want everything
to be just right (and partly because O'Reilly waited a rather
long time to offer me the job! :0).  But hopefully it will be
out in a few months, and be _a_lot_ better than the 1st edition.
And maybe even worth actual money - I hope!!! :)

In the meantime, there are other books on Samba, some of them
written by members of the Samba team (Gerry Carter and Richard
Sharpe).  I would suggest looking into those as well.

Jay Ts
jay at jayts.cx