[Samba] Windows 2000 SP2 WINS server<--- vpn ---> Samba 2.0.10 WINS server

Jeremy django at qwest.net
Wed May 29 16:54:01 GMT 2002

RedHat 7.1 running FreeS/WAN and Samba 2.0.10
connects to a DHCP Win2k server box  using ipsec.  At first I was
implementing Samba 2.0.7 as a WINS server and was encountering a problem
where 'smbclient -M W2kserver' and 'smbclient -L W2kserver' (where W2kserver
is netbios name of w2k box) would give me Win2k side server stats/send
message to win2k box, but I could not ping W2kserver by netbios name from
samba server side, nor could I map to my shares.  I did add the name for a
valid user W2kserver, but not a machine name (unclear on concept here- do I
need to smbadduser -a -m W2kserver$ ?).  I could, on other hand, get the
Win2kserver to ping by NetBios name as soon as Samba server came up.  Well,
I decided to upgrade to Samba 2.0.10 from redhat updates and now am not able
to get any Netbios name resolution from Samba side, but still am getting
Netbios name resolution from W2kserver side when samba server comes up (adds
samba server into nb cache).  Basically, log files show that the Win2kserver
is denying connection, therefore not handing over netbios name table.  I
wonder if this has something to do with the WINS server on the win2k side
grabbing domain master status (but have tried setting os level = 255 on
samba side, when I noticed 'smbclient -L W2kserver' showing W2kserver as the
Master back when 2.0.7 was getting name resolution).  And I am confused as
to why I am not getting any name resolution from Samba side even though
smb.conf is same as with 2.0.7.  Nmblookup '*'  only broadcasts to local
subnet and does not seem to be hitting entore WORKGROUP.

Win2k shows WINS servers primary and secondary as ip address of Samba box.
Using same WORKGROUP as Samba.  Thanks.

Samba config as follows

[global]
  netbios name = Linuxbox
  workgroup = WORKGROUP
  server string = smb server
  hosts allow = xx.yy.zz.128/255.255.255.248 192.168.0.0/255.255.255.0
@WORKGROUP
  guest account = guest
  log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
  max log size = 20