[Samba] Out of memory need to restart system - Probably OT

John Schmerold john at katy.com
Fri May 24 10:46:02 GMT 2002

I've recently setup a system that must be restarted every 3 days.

There is no indication in TOP as to what can be eating memory.  Perhaps,
I'm using wrong flags.  SAR shows dramatic increase in CPU utilization
at start of the out of memory messages.

portion of log file reads as follows:
May 23 07:10:07 stl1 kernel: Out of Memory: Killed process 5404 (dnscache).
May 23 07:10:46 stl1 kernel: Out of Memory: Killed process 5407 (dnscache).
May 23 07:11:34 stl1 kernel: Out of Memory: Killed process 5409 (multilog).

It seems like the problem occurs at end of day or during evening.

Where do you guys go to resolve this type of issue?  It's making me
crazy, I've looked at all log files I know to examine, even removed
Sendmail because it seemed to be a hacker / sendmail related issue.

TIA