[Samba] Winbind = yes

Nollaig MacLochlainn maccelt at hotmail.com
Wed May 22 11:57:02 GMT 2002

Hi,

I have got winbind working on Solaris 8!
I got Samba 2.4 woring perfectly but I think it would be no proble to get
2.2.3 working either...

In the next few days I'll email some general documentation to this list
with the instructions to follow....

I am not at work so cannot give the exact details now.
but here is a tip..

First compile..

./configure --prefix=/directory --with-winbind --with-pam ... etc
gmake, gmake install

copy some libraries..

cp ./nsswitch/pam_winbind.so /lib/security/pam_winbind.so
cp ./nsswithc/libnss_winbind.so /lib/

ln -s /lib/libnss_winbind.so /lib/nss_winbind.so

then mess around with the pam.conf...

login account sufficient  /lib/security/pam_winbind.so
login auth    sufficient  /lib/security/pam_winbind.so
etc ..

Be careful .. I messed up and could't telnet in to my solaris server after a
foolish
modification.  Always keep a spare telnet session open.

SOME ISSUES:

1) Unable to change local passwords in /etc/passwd file due to
security restriction in the solaris passwd binary.  It checks the
nsswitch.conf for
a subset of name-services (files, ldap, nis, nis+, etc) but not winbind.

FIX:  Temporarily edit nsswitch.conf to remove "winbind" text,
change the password
edit nsswitch.conf again to re-enable winbind

2) I was unable to login to my Veritas Volume Manager today (access denied)
 locally.  This was due to my pam.conf.

I commented a "Other account ..." clause in my pam.conf temporarily
and login worked ok..

3) Winbind: Use Domain Name = No (default)
When this smb.conf clause I cannot telnet to the server as I do not know
what telnet expects.
I tried  login: "ie-domain-nt\account",
  login: ie-domain-nt\account
  login: account
  login: "account"

but none would work.

If I change Use Domain Name = Yes then I can telnet in successfully.

Fix:  I just use the default as I don't need to telnet in.
I was just interested if it could be done.

regards,
Noel.

[Samba] Winbind
Thamara Wanigatunga thamara at jkcs.slt.lk
Thu May 2 02:16:02 2002

----

Hello

IS there ANYBODY who has got winbind working on Solaris ?. Is this thing
not compliant to Solaris or is there anything to work around?

Please help

.