[Samba] using winbind in pam.d/system-auth, double prompts for password

Gregg Lebovitz gregg at suma.com
Wed May 22 10:41:02 GMT 2002

I am using samba-2.2.3a and samb-2.2.4 in my windows-2000 environment
and have the my linux systems configured to use winbind in addition to
standard unix for authentication.

The problem I am seeing is that linux services and programs that prompt
for a password will prompt first for unix authentication and then a
second time for winbind authentication.

Is there anyway to using winbind and unix authentication without
requiring two separate password prompts?

My system-auth file contains:

#%PAM-1.0
# This file is auto-generated.
auth        required      /lib/security/pam_env.so
auth        sufficient    /lib/security/pam_unix.so likeauth nullok
auth        sufficient    /lib/security/pam_winbind.so
auth        required      /lib/security/pam_deny.so

account     required      /lib/security/pam_unix.so
account     sufficient    /lib/security/pam_winbind.so

password    required      /lib/security/pam_cracklib.so retry=3 type=
password    sufficient    /lib/security/pam_unix.so nullok use_authtok md5 shadow
password    required      /lib/security/pam_deny.so

session     required      /lib/security/pam_limits.so
session     required      /lib/security/pam_unix.so

Gregg