[Samba] weird winbind scenario

Buchan Milne bgmilne at cae.co.za
Wed May 22 04:36:02 GMT 2002

> Message: 18
> Date: Tue, 21 May 2002 15:58:32 -0500
> To: samba at lists.samba.org
> From: Jason Byars <jbyars at iupui.edu>
> Subject: [Samba] weird winbind scenario
>
> 	Hi, I have a box running Mandrake 8.2 and samba 2.2.4 on an NT
> domain.  smbpasswd -j says it joins the domain ok, I use the included
> sys-auth-windbind file for pam, and the winbind entries are in
> nsswitch.conf.  Everything appears to be running, but when I try wbinfo -u
> I get "Error looking up domain users".  getent passwd only return the linux
> accounts.  Yet wbinfo -t returns "Secret is good" and wbinfo -a for any
> valid user authenticates.  This one has me totally stumped.   What's worse
> I have and Mandrake 8.1 machine running 2.2.3a with everything working just
> fine.  Near as I can tell the settings between machines are identical
> except for machine name.   Any ideas?  Thanks.

I build the RPMs for Mandrake 8.2 (if you are using the ones on the
samba ftp mirros), but I don't actually have a windows domain to test
with atm (I had a test network, but one machine got re-acquired by the
owner :-() since we run samba as a DC here. Are you guys running NT DCs,
or Win2k DCs?

What happens if you try wbinfo -u?
If you don't get any users, then this looks remarkably like the error
which can be fixed by running this on the DC:

net localgroup "Pre-Windows 2000 Compatible Access" everyone /add (Reboot)

See:
http://lists.samba.org/pipermail/samba-technical/2001-October/032017.html

But, then again, I don't know why the Mandrake 8.1/samba-2.2.3a box
works ;-)

Cellphone * Work            +27 82 472 2231 * +27 21 8828820x202