[Samba] NFS Mounting Exported SMB MOUNT

Urban Widmark urban at teststation.com
Mon May 20 08:32:02 GMT 2002

On Mon, 20 May 2002, Wayne S. Gabree wrote:

> I'm trying to NFS mount an export of a SMB mounted share:
>
> Windows Box     -> Linux Box                         -> Solaris Box
> Windows Share   -> Linux SMB Mounted/Exported as NFS -> Solaris NFS
> mount
> \\windows\share -> /mnt/windows/share                ->
> /mnt/windows/share
>
> The problem is that I get a "permission denied" when attempting to mount
> the exported file system on the Solaris box.
>
> I'm I trying to do something that is not doable?

Possibly. I think nfs (knfsd) wants the filesystem to provide it with a
unique stable id through some special methods. smbfs doesn't do that.
There is a userspace nfs daemon too, maybe that works differently.

But it could also be that the permissions you use to mount smbfs doesn't
allow something that nfs wants ...

You should check if you can get some debug info out of your nfsd.

/Urban