[Samba] smb_newconn error

Urban Widmark urban at teststation.com
Mon May 20 07:25:02 GMT 2002

On Mon, 20 May 2002, Hall, Leam wrote:

> Okay, newbie alert.
>
> We're having a problem with a linux (2.2.20 smp) webserver (apache) that is
> a samba 2.0.7-4) client. Oddly, both client and server are Linux. (I didn't
> set them up)

Switching to NFS may be a good idea.

> There are 2 webservers that in theory are set up exactly the same. When a
> certain one of them goes live, it generates an error:
>
> 	smb_newconn failed to allocate new packet buffer max xmit 65535

smbfs needs to allocate a buffer that is as large as smbmount negotiated
that the maximum transfer size should be. smbmount uses the samba default
of 65535.

Try reducing this to one page using this setting in smb.conf:
	max xmit = 4096

(At least I think smbmount uses smb.conf for this value, if you get the
 same value in the error message then smbmount needs some fixing)

> The server then soon fork bombs and the machine has to be rebooted to regain
> control. If the server is *not* live, but Apache stressed, no problems
> occur.

Do you get any other kernel error messages?

What is the difference between "live" and not-live?

/Urban