[Samba] Apple cannot connect to RHLinux Samba

Alan Deadman alan.deadman at lunarsystems.co.uk
Mon May 20 06:28:47 GMT 2002

Hi All

I have a working samba server on RH Linux 7.3 (samba v2.2.4). My shares and
printers can be connected and used by my W95, W98 and XP clients - no
problems there.

However, my Apple (Powerbook G4 running OSX 10.1.4) cannot connect using the
Connect To Server option:
smb://10.0.1.200/data
Or
smb://alan@10.0.1.200/data

The nmblookup -B MAC_MACHINE '*' command does not see the Apple Powerbook.

By the way, Appletalk to/fro the Linux server is working fine.

Any ideas?

Smb.conf
--------
[global]
workgroup = LSL
server string = LSL_SAMBA
printcap name = /etc/printcap
load printers = yes
printing = lpr
print command = /usr/bin/lpr -r -P%p %s
log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
max log size = 0
security = user
encrypt passwords = yes
smb passwd file = /usr/local/samba/lib/smbpasswd
unix password sync = Yes
passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
passwd chat = *New*password* %n\n *Retype*new*password* %n\n
interfaces = 10.0.1.200
remote announce = 10.0.1.255
dns proxy = no

[homes]