[Samba] Correct syntax for joining NT domain?

Jim Watt wattjg at appliedbiosystems.com
Sun May 12 14:58:02 GMT 2002

On Sun, 12 May 2002, Andrew Bartlett wrote:

} It is better to simply rejoin the domain from the unix command line:
}
} smbpasswd -j DOMAIN -r PDC -Uadministrator

I tried that syntax from a Samba/2.2.4 FreeBSD installation.  The attempt
failed.  I set the debug level to 10, and discovered that the connection
attempt was being made to a completely bogus IP address!  So I dropped
the '-r PDC' argument, since it looked like the code in smbpasswd would
figure out the PDC without specifying it.  That worked fine!  "nmblookup"
has no difficulty resolving the PDC's name to its correct IP address.

Some sort of bug lurks there... :)

Jim
Jim Watt                               wattjg at appliedbiosystems.com
Applied Biosystems                     Voice (desk): +1 408 577 2228
3833 North First Street                Fax:          +1 408 894 9307
San Jose CA 95134-1701                 Voice (main): +1 408 577 2200