[Samba] swat

Joel Hammer Joel at HammersHome.com
Sat May 11 09:25:01 GMT 2002

I just tried it and got the same error. You have to enable swat.
In your /etc/xinet.d directory, you need a file something like this: (Called
swat)

# default: off
#	       to configure your Samba server. To use SWAT, \
#	       connect to port 901 with your favorite web browser.
service swat
{
	port	= 901
	socket_type	= stream
	wait 	= no
#	only_from = localhost
	user	= root
	server	= /usr/sbin/swat
	log_on_failure	+= USERID
	disable = no
}

Then, stop and restart xinetd:
/etc/rc.d/init.d/xinetd stop
/etc/rc.d/init.d/xinetd start

To make sure things have gone well,
netstat -apn | grep xinet
should show you port 901 is being monitored.

My other problem was I was using the -a option with swat, and xinetd
rejected it.

BTW, swat is overrated in my book. If you need quick access to documentation,
man smb.conf is much faster.

Joel