[Samba] Automatic Printer Driver Downloading - Does it work?

Van Sickler, Jim vansickj-eodc at Kaman.com
Wed May 8 16:05:02 GMT 2002

What kind of printer?

If you have the printer driver installed
on your system already, instead of browsing
the requested CD, browse to one of these:

(in the following order)
\winnt\system32\spool\drivers\w32x86\2
\winnt\system32\spool\drivers\w32x86\3
\winnt\system32\spool\drivers\w32x86
\winnt\system32\spool\drivers\color
\winnt\system32\spool\drivers\win40
\winnt\system
\winnt\system32

to find the requested driver.

  If you have Win2k SP2, extract it and
browse in the \i386 dir & subdir's.

  If you have HP printers, extract those
and install from there, using the .inf file
to get a list of the available printers.

  If you have AdobePS or LexMark drivers,
add "use client driver=yes" to the smb.conf
section that pertains to that printer.

e.g.
[Optra_S_1250]
        comment = Lexmark Optra S 1250
        path = /var/spool/samba/optra
        writeable = false
        printable = true
        printer name = optra
        use client driver = yes

Good luck,

Jim

p.s.
chmod -R 0744 the print$ share dir/subdirs.