[Samba] XP, shares and connections to port 80

Ben Griffith bgriffit at email.unc.edu
Wed May 8 07:55:03 GMT 2002

Gentlemen,

After reading Patrick's suggestion I killed the webdav service....and went
through the XP networking services in the mindset that "if I lose
something, I will add it back". Needless to say, I disabled several
services that seemed, to me anyway, to be un-necessary.

I have not had time to to a thorough testing of this machine yet, but it
would appear as though things are just fine. The XP machine is a domain
member ( we have a samba server in an NT domain ). It can still login just
fine to the NT PDC and access several of the other NT fileservers that we
have. On the plus side, the hesitation when accessing the samba server has
disappeared! Now the access to our samba server is just as fast as when you
hit an NT server.

Like I said, this machine has not been stress tested in the network
environment yet, but the minimalist approach that I took to the XP network
services seems to have cured my only real ailment with samba!

This whole time I have been trying to tweak samba, but in the end...'nuff
said.

Patrick, thanks for the inspiration. Tony, I hope you fare as well as I
did.  :)

	--Ben--

--On Tuesday, May 07, 2002 8:11 PM -0600 Patrick Gunerud <slu at firerun.net>
wrote:

| So far I've had it turned off for about two months now and I have not had
| any problems so I can assume that only the webdav is effected by it.
| That's the best I can tell you.

Ben Griffith
bgriffit at email.unc.edu