[Samba] Login Scripts won't run on W2K

Doug Campbell dcampbell at zonemail.net
Sun May 5 12:50:03 GMT 2002

Sorry to send this to the general list but I couldn't find the information
on how to send to the samba-ntdom list.

I have just setup my Samba as a PDC and I am trying to get my Windows 2000
client to login.  The client successfully logs in but does not run the login
script.

If I log in using one of my Windows 98 clients, the login scripts run every
time with no problems.

Also, I noticed that if I try to type the following from the W2K command
prompt:

net use h: /home

It gives the following error:

The user's home directory has not been specified.

This also works on my Windows 98 clients.  Any idea what I am doing wrong?

One more thing.  I can run the login script batch file after logging in so I
have the permissions to access it.

My smb.conf is attached to the end of this e-mail.  Also, if you notice why
I can't get profiles to function, I would appreciate that as well.

Thanks for any help that is provided!

Doug Campbell

My smb.conf:

[global]
    ; Basic server settings
    netbios name=snoopy
    workgroup=workgroup

    ; Miscellaneous settings
    dos filetime resolution = True
    dos filetimes = True
    time server = True
    wins support=yes

    ; Printer Share settings
    printcap name=/etc/printcap
    printing=bsd
    printer driver file=/etc/samba/printers.def

    ; we should act as the domain and local master browser
    os level=64
    preferred master=yes
    domain master=yes
    local master=yes

    ; security settings (must use security = user)
    security = user

    ; encrypted passwords are a requirement for a PDC
    encrypt passwords = yes

    ; support domain logins
    domain logons=yes

    ; support for allowing client machines to join our domain.
    ; use root account and password to allow joining
    ; hopefully this will change in the future so that I can
    ; use a none root account
    domain admin group = root at snoopy

    ; where to store user profiles
    logon path = \\%L\profiles\%U

    ; where is a user's home directory and where should it
    ; be mounted at?

    logon drive = P:
    logon home = \\%L\%U

    ; specify a logon script location for all users
    logon script=scripts\%U.bat

    ; used for "on-the-fly" creation of machine trust accounts
    add user script = /usr/sbin/useradd -d /dev/null - g 100 -s /bin/false -
M %u

    ; Guest Access settings
    map to guest=bad user

; share for storing user profiles
[profiles]
    path = /data/smb/ntprofile
    read only = no
    create mask = 0600
    directory mask = 0700

[homes]
path = %H/samba
browseable = no
valid users = %U
read only = No
create mask = 700
writeable = Yes
recycle bin = .recycled

[tempint]
path = /data/tempint/%U
valid users = %U
read only = No
create mask = 700

[netlogon]
path=/data/dos/netlogon
read only=yes
guest ok=no
oplocks=no
create mask=774
write list=@scriptadmin
force group=scriptadmin
recycle bin = .recycled

[general]
path=/data/general
read only=no
admin users=doug,travis
create mask=770
directory mask=770
force group=sambauser
recycle bin = .recycled

[finance]
path=/data/finance
read only=yes
valid users=@finance
write list=@finance
create mask=770
directory mask=770
force group=finance
recycle bin = .recycled

[operations]
path=/data/operations
read only=yes
valid users=@ops
write list=@ops
create mask=770
directory mask=770
force group=ops
recycle bin = .recycled

[it]
path=/data/it
read only=yes
valid users=@ituser
write list=@ituser
create mask=770
directory mask=770
force group=ituser
recycle bin = .recycled

[wenlin]
    public=yes
    path=/mnt/wenlin
    volume="wenlin2cd"
    force user=root
    read only=yes

[printers]
browseable=no
guest ok=yes
print ok=yes
path=/var/spool/samba

[software]
path=/data/software
guest ok=yes
read only=no
admin users=doug
recycle bin = .recycled

[pdf]
path = /tmp
printable=yes
guest ok=yes
force user=nobody
print command=/usr/bin/printpdf %s
printer driver = HP LaserJet 5P/5MP PostScript
printer driver location=\\%h\printer$

[pdfshare]
path=/tmp/pdfdropbox
browseable=yes
writeable=yes
guest ok=yes

; File share to allow clients to download printer drivers
[printer$]
   path=/etc/samba/printdrivers
   guest ok=yes
   read only=yes