[Samba] Samba connecting to a Samba PDC

Kaleb Pederson kibab at asc.ewu.edu
Fri May 3 12:19:02 GMT 2002

I have one machine setup as a Samba PDC and a second samba machine that
I would like to be able to have authenticate through the first so that,
hopefully, I don't have to do any synching of passwd files.  By what I
have read, it doesn't look like this is possible directly with samba?

To further complicate things, the second machine is running MacOS-X, so
winbind isn't available.  As well, instead of having a useradd or
adduser command it uses a daemon called lookupd that appears to do all
the authentication (although it seems it might be configured to use the
/etc/passwd file if necessary).

As I'm running on two different platforms, Linux and MacOS-X, I'm not
sure what my options are.  I could get NIS+ installed on the Linux
machine, but I'm not sure whether or not it will work on the Mac system.

Any thoughts on what I might be able to do?

Thanks.

--Kaleb