[Samba] Samba Performance

Manuel Zamora-Morschhäuser manuel at zamora.de
Sun Mar 31 10:59:02 GMT 2002

Hi!

I have samba 2.2.3a running on my elderly 200mmx-petium box with 48 megs of
ram. My NW-Card is a Davicom 100Mbit card. The nw-performance is not that
bad, 5-7megabytes per second nfs and ftp performance. But my
samba-performance (test clients: win98, win2k, smbclient/linux) is pretty
poor: just 2-3megs/second.

my smb.conf-file looks like that:

---snip---
[global]
        workgroup = HOME
        netbios name = fileserver
        server string = fileserver
        encrypt passwords = Yes
        update encrypted = Yes
        deadtime = 15
        socket options = TCP_NODELAY IPTOS_LOWDELAY SO_SNDBUF=65536
SO_RCVBUF=65536
        read raw = yes
        write raw = yes
        oplocks = yes
        max xmit = 65553
        getwd cache = yes
        lpq cache = yes
        os level = 33
        preferred master = True
        domain master = True
        wins support = Yes
        invalid users = root mail bin adm uucp
        read only = No
        hosts allow = 10.0.0.0/255.255.255.0
---snap--- (below share configuration)

Can you give me any hints on improving performance? I don't want to make a
hardware-upgrade, 5-7megs/second is enough for my small home server, but 2
megs is not sufficent for me.

I am running gentoo-linux, kernel 2.4.17, i increased /proc/sys/net/core/rmem
/ wmem values, that helped for nfs performance (with default values no change
to smb performance).

Thanks in advance! :)

Manuel

tale                                             manuel at zamora.de

Manuel Juan Zamora-Morschhäuser              http://www.zamora.de

Blankenlocher Str.7
76351 Linkenheim
Germany                                 Mobile +49 (0)179 6666250

"How many times do I have to tell you!?
         MONKEYS are the ones who walk; CHEESE is yellow! *sigh*"