[Samba] Name spaces in fstab

Urban Widmark urban at teststation.com
Thu Mar 28 12:52:03 GMT 2002

On Thu, 28 Mar 2002, Alberto Mesas Navarro wrote:

> I have a windows machine named like "computer 1", I haven't been able to get
> it under /etc/fstab, linux complaints about wrong syntax.
>
> I have tried:
>
> "//computer 1/myshare" /my/path/ smbfs
> username=myuser,password=mypass,defaults,user,auto 0 0
> //computer 1/myshare /my/path/ smbfs
> username=myuser,password=mypass,defaults,user,auto 0 0
> //computer_1/myshare /my/path/ smbfs
> username=myuser,password=mypass,defaults,user,auto 0 0
>

> Anyway to get it working?

The problem lies in the mount command, not in smbmount. mount does not
accept space in the "device" part, and \ does not escape either.

If the machine is NT (not win9x) then it should be possible to ignore the
machine name and put the right ip in the list of options:

//noname/myshare  /my/path  smbfs
username=myuser,password=mypass,ip=1.2.3.4,defaults,user,auto  0 0

smbmount will then connect to the right ip, but with the wrong name. When
that fails it will try again with the generic name "*SMBSERVER" which is
accepted by more recent smb servers.

/Urban