[Samba] How can samba client join samba server

Ahmad Yahya getlucky at telkom.net
Wed Mar 27 19:40:06 GMT 2002

From: "Jianping Zhu" <zjp at arches.uga.edu>

> I have a linux samba sever runing. I have another linux machine with samba
> on it. My question is can I join the second machine as client to the samba
> sever in the first machine and if i can how?

Yes. The server must run as a PDC [security=user, domain logons = yes]
There are two security options.
First, 'security = domain' and secondly is 'security = server'
The first one needs the client acount in /etc/passwd and smbpasswd.
And also you must do 'joining to the domain' from the client. [smbpasswd -r
server -j domain]
Both need the same workgroup/domain with the server.
If this is unclear, there are docs in your extracted sources.

    hth
    Yaya