[Samba] Naming convention in Samba

Blanchard, Michael MBlanchard at grandaire.com
Mon Mar 25 07:40:27 GMT 2002

I think I know the answer to this one.

Windows2000 uses DNS for most things (hence the new dotted domain names for AD) but it still maintains backward compatability for older clients (nt4 and win9x) that's why you enter two types of domain names when you make an active directory server.  Ones for win2k and above, ones for the older netbios clients.  Samba in my experience does not yet know/care about any of the AD DNS stuff that win2k makes.  All samba cares about is WINS("old style" according the microsoft).  So when you name a domain in samba test.org, that's the same as naming the "old style" domain in AD test.org.  So in order for everybody to play fair and know who to talk to, just use the "old style" for everything.  This effects nothing in the win2k and above servers as they see them with the newer DNS domain name.  And NEVER use a period in an "old style" netbios domain name, it'll cause you headaches later on.