[Samba] Is anyone else accepting the printcap default printers?

John Benedetto jbenedet at unm.edu
Tue Mar 19 10:08:06 GMT 2002

When I rolled out our 2.0.10, I did not set up ANY printers in Samba, but
rather let the printcap defaults be served out (through?).  This setup has
been working without major incident since the end of last year.

The only thing I have even relating to printers in my smb.conf are these
lines:

[printers]
        comment = All Printers
        path = /var/spool/samba
        printable = Yes
        browseable = No

We are currently serving 29 printers this way, across subnets (we use the
campus WINS server), across four Library branches.

Does anyone know pros or cons on doing this way?  We are not interested in
automagically serving out drivers (well, I'd like to, but it is so low, it
isn't even on my priority list).  Also, If I add a printer, I also need to
restart Samba for it to be seen (at least that has been my experience).  I
initially had them setup in printool as HP Jetdirect, but changed them to
LPD queues after some problems cropped up with Acrobat .pdf files.

Anything else anyone can see I might be setting myself for in the way of
problems?

TIA
- john