[Samba] IE 5.01, Shell Folders, Windows 2000 and Samba 2.2.3a

Douglas Pace Douglas.Pace at NAU.EDU
Mon Mar 18 16:08:33 GMT 2002

Recently at my University we upgraded our Samba servers from 2.2.0 to
2.2.3a.  After the upgrade, one of the server's(Solaris 2.6) loads
increased dramatically. From an average load of 2 to sometimes as high as
20 during heavy use. This appeared to be almost exclusively from the Samba
processes as a handful of those processes took up approx 5% of the CPU
EACH.  Doing a truss on these processes revealed that it was calling stat64
and chmod continuously on Windows shell folders for History and
Cookies.  These processes only appeared when the end user was using
IE(further testing narrowed this down to only 5.01).  Obviously our shell
folders are pointed to a network mapped drive from the Samba server.

After dealing with this for a day, we attempted to rollback to 2.2.0.  This
still didn't solve our problems and trussing the processes showed similar
behavior(stat64 and chmod on the History and Cookies folder). After
spending some time trying to find a solution to this problem, we discovered
deleting the Cookies and History folders on each of the user's samba mounts
resulted in fixing the problem.

Has anyone else experienced this type of behavior, and if so were you able
to fix it any other way? Are there any fixes for this type of thing? Thanks
and hopefully I'm not being repetitive.

Not sure what information is helpful, but here we go.
Server - E450 running Solaris 2.6 with approx 150-200 clients at any
time(during heavy loads). Running only as a file server(no DC).
Workstations - primarily Windows 2000 with IE 5.01(there are others, but
this is the majority of the clients).

Again thanks for all the great work and any help you can possibly give with
this problem.

Douglas Pace
Douglas.Pace at nau.edu
928-523-1655