[Samba] VPN question

Eric Garff egarff at mycomputer.com
Fri Mar 15 14:02:21 GMT 2002

I haven't been very successful in finding an answer to a problem I am
experiencing (I've done the cursory search of the samba lists archive,
and I've also been talking with Cisco).

Essentially, my issue is that when connecting to our VPN, I can browse
the shares of all the actual Microsoft machines, but our main file
server (linux, with samba) is unaccessible.  I can ping it by both name
and IP, but if I go into say "network neighborhood" and type in
"\\trooper\", or \\10.10.1.10\ it's a no go.

Here is the answer from the Cisco engineer after pointing her to the
samba.org web site:

"Hello, and thank you for the information.  I looked at the link and
found alot of information on this.  From what I've read so far, I don't
know if this will work.  There is a few reason why.  First the ipsec
tunnel does not support broadcast or mulicast traffic.  From the link
the traffic is sent via broadcast or point-to-point (unicast).  I don't
know in which you have it configered.  This is the same with NetBios- it
generally uses broadcast or multicast.

Next, I see that it queries based on hostname and ip address.  This can
be a problem also, since the vpn client is based on a shim, whereas
devices can only query an address from a virtual address or physical
address."

Any thoughts?

Thank you very much,
--