[Samba] Print driver woes in 2.2.3a

Robert M. Martel bob at urban.csuohio.edu
Wed Mar 13 14:39:02 GMT 2002

	Greetings, all

	I seem to run across more interesting issues with printing...

	Anyhow, by Samba (2.2.3a) print server (Sun Solaris 8) somehow forgot
about all of its printer drivers.  I went through the process of re-loading them
from a Windows 2000 client machine using drivers downloaded fromn HP for all but
our laserjet 4 printers.

	I was able to install the Windows 2000 drivers OK, but when trying to
install the drivers for Windows 98 I would get one of the following error
messages:

	"Unable to install the Intel Windows 95 or 98 driver.
	Operation could not be completed."

	"The printer driver you selected is either not compatible
	with your current version of Windows, or it may not be available.
	Select a compatible driver from the list, or contact your
	Administrator for help."

	When I tried from an NT 4.0 machine, it indicated that it was copying
the files to the print server, but ended with the following error message:

	"Alternate driver cannot be installed."

	I've tried looking at the printers and printer driver info using
rpcclient on the print server, but it does not return any info.

	FWIW the windows 2000 clients are able to load their print drivers okay.
 My first pass through this with Samba 2.2.2 I didn't have problems loading the
95/98 printer drivers.

	Anyone have any ideas about this issue?
	Thanks!
	-Bob Martel
 Speaking only for myself - CSU pays better people than me to speak for them.

 Bob Martel - System Administrator   | I met someone who looks a lot like you
 Levin College of Urban Affairs      | She does the things you do
 Cleveland State University          | But she is an IBM
 (216) 687-2214                      |
 bob at meeker.csuohio.edu              |                     -Jeff Lynne