[Samba] Multiple-level user shares

John Benedetto jbenedet at unm.edu
Tue Mar 12 14:06:02 GMT 2002

--On Tuesday, March 12, 2002 2:08 PM -0600 Kevin Bramblett
<kbramblett at dssresearch.com> wrote:

> Can anyone tell me how I can do a multiple level user share?  What I'm
> having trouble configuring is a share that allows all users to use the
> first directory of the share, and then in subdirectories of the first
> directory only allow specified users access.  I can't find anything
> similar in any docs on the internet nor in the O'Reilly Using Samba book.

We are using our Samba server as PDC.  We are doing a form of this in this
fashion:

*ALL* users map the /PROJECTS share as the P: drive through their logon
batch file.

On the Linux side, the various directory folders for various projects are
'owned' by a certain group, say MANAGERS.  In /etc/group all the managers
have 'secondary' membership in the MANAGERS group, though their 'primary'
groups in /etc/passwd may be different (ACCTG, or IT, or RESEARCH for
example).  Do a chgrp on the MANAGERS folder inside the PROJECTS folder (so
group ownership on it is MANAGERS), and set perms 770.  That will enable
all managers to access the folder.  You may also need to work on the
settings in your smb.conf.

Make sense? We're still working out some of the bugs, but things look good
so far.

- john